Something that I absolutely LOVE is to make unique treats for my birthday friends. It is a great excuse to come up with an almighty new and amazing recipe. In this case, it was my grandmother's 94th birthday so it was extra rich and delicious.
Equipment and tools needed: Food Processor, muffin pan (12), wax paper
Yields: 12 tarts
Time: 25 minutes to prep
4-12 hours to soak cashews (soak cashews in filtered water, rinse upon using)
1 cup medjool dates (though any type of date will work)
1 cup almonds
1/2 cup dried cherries
1.5 cup cashews
6 Tablespoons maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla
1.5 cups frozen or fresh cherries
3/4 cup raw cacao powder
dash sea salt
coconut oil~ to oil the sides of the muffin pan
Place a piece of wax paper at the bottom of each muffin filling and oil the sides with coconut oil. (NOTE: Don't have too much wax paper coming up on the sides of the muffin filling)
For the crust:
1) Place almonds in food processor and process until finely ground. 2) Add dates and dried cherries and dash of sea salt. Process until contents are sticky! 3) Remove from food processor and pat contents firmly into the bottom of each muffin filling. (NOTE: The crust is only on the bottom of the muffin filling, not on the sides. Just make sure that the wax paper is under the crust).
For the 1st layer:
1) Drain and rinse cashews and add them to food processor along with, 3 tablespoons of maple syrup, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, 1.5 cups of frozen or fresh cherries. Process until smooth and creamy.
2) Place contents in muffin fillings, each about a couple of inches. Make sure to leave enough room at the top of each filling for the third layer. PLACE IN FREEZER while preparing the 2nd layer.
For the 2nd layer:
1) Remove the pits of both avocados and place the avocado 'meat' in food processor. Add cacao powder, 3 Tablespoons maple syrup, 1 tsp vanilla and dash of sea salt and process until contents are smooth and creamy.
2) Remove muffin pan from freezer and spoon the chocolate layer on top. It shouldn't be too thick, about an inch or so…
3) Garnish with coconut shred and chopped nuts.
4) Place in freezer for minimum of 1 hour. Remove tarts with a fork or knife, when frozen (much easier!!). When you are ready to serve, let dessert thaw for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
ENJOY!!! Please let me know what questions you have and how this tastes for you!